Man United still want Wolves midfielder – See Transfer Details
Manchester United are still interested in signing Wolves star Ruben Neves, according to reports.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already landed three players in this summer’s transfer window. And more reinforcements may arrive before August 31 as the Red Devils hunt a first Premier League title since Sir Alex Ferguson’s time in charge.
Manchester United ended last season badly, losing to Villarreal in the final of the Europa League.
That came after the whole European Super League debacle and, in the time since, the Glazers have decided to sanction new signings.
Tom Heaton joined on a free transfer from Aston Villa, while Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane have arrived from Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid respectively.
As things stand, United are still open to more additions despite finding it difficult to get players off the books.
And 90min claim they remain interested in Neves, despite reports recently suggesting they’d dropped their interest in the Portugal international.
United want a new anchorman to allow them to play more attacking, with Solskjaer ready to adopt a 4-3-3 formation instead of the 4-2-3-1 he’s relied on throughout his reign so far.
And it’s stated that Wolves want £40million to let their prized asset go.
Whether United pay the money remains to be seen but, as the clock ticks down, they’re still hopeful of strengthening their squad.
Any potential move, however, seems to depend on what money they can raise through sales.
The report says United were initially hoping to offload Donny van de Beek and Anthony Martial, as well as the likes of Jesse Lingard, Diogo Dalot, Alex Telles, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Nemanja Matic and Phil Jones.
But buyers have been lacking so far.
United are close to getting Andreas Pereira off the books at least temporarily, with the Brazil international closing in on a move to Flamengo.
And while Neves is a target, so too is Atletico Madrid’s Kieran Trippier.
Trippier has spent the last two years strutting his stuff in Spain, helping Diego Simeone’s side win the La Liga title last time out.
United had originally been hoping to land the Euro 2020 star for a fee of £30m, impressed by the player’s ability to play on both flanks.
But Atletico want £50m to part ways with the 29-year-old, who has previously played in the Premier League with Burnley and Tottenham.
Speaking recently, meanwhile, Solskjaer insisted any further additions would be a bonus.
“Anything from now is a bonus,” said the 48-year-old.
“I have to say that with the two signings we’ve got, we’ve strengthened where we wanted to strengthen.
“Let’s see what happens. You never know in football. Anything can happen, ins and outs.”
United face off against Southampton in their Premier League clash on Sunday.
And they’ll be hoping to build on their 5-1 hammering of Leeds last weekend, where Bruno Fernandes scored a magnificent hat-trick to get Old Trafford rocking.
United beat Southampton 3-2 in the same fixture last season.
They found themselves trailing 2-0 at half-time, before the introduction of Edinson Cavani changed the game.
The Uruguay international notched twice after coming off the bench to secure all three points for his side.